What is the procedure? If I’m approved, how long before I get my dog?
- Complete and return an application. We do check your references, so please include them.
- You will receive a call from a BRGA volunteer for a phone interview and also to set up a home visit. A volunteer will come to your home with one or more dogs to ask and answer questions.
- A report of the home visit is presented to the BRGA Board. If you are approved, you will be called to attend the next adoption presentation and to meet your new family member.
- Your dog will have received the following procedures from the veterinarian:
- The adoption process can take four weeks or even longer sometimes, so please be patient. Now is a good time to read Adopting the Racing Greyhound by Cynthia Branigan and Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies by Lee Livingood, if you haven't already (see Suggested Reading)
- Your mentor (“buddy”) will call to check on you from time to time and will be available to you if you have any questions or concerns. Our goal is for this adoption to be successful.
- See the adoption fee page for information on the cost of the adoption and what the fee covers and provides for you.