The board of directors is the governing body of the Blue Ridge Greyhound Adoption organization. Individuals who sit on the board are responsible for overseeing the organization's activities. Board members meet periodically to discuss and vote on the affairs of the organization. BRGA's board meets in person once per quarter and has monthly meetings via online conferencing.
katie thompson, President
- Snorkeled with manatee
- Cage dived with great white sharks
- Rode her pony into her childhood home
Katie has had a lifelong love of animals. She is a Doctor of Chiropractic and a Nutritionist. She uses her tools even on her four legged loves which keeps them healthy and strong. When she’s not working she’s playing with her Greys and her cat Koko, reading, or listening to jazz. Her new passion is scuba diving.
Mike Ott, Vice President
- Mike has a degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Is a computer programmer and self described techno-nerd.
- Adopted the first greyhound he ever met.
Mike is also the webmaster and IT guy for BRGA. Mike and his wife Wendy live on a small farm with a horse, a llama, an alpaca, several sheep and some chickens. They share the house with a rather large pack of greyhounds.
kim Barnett, Treasurer
- Born and raised in Central PA
- Studied abroad
- Lived in Sweden for several years
- Loves cruising, especially in the Caribbean
Kim came to the DC area to do an internship in Grad school and never left. She met her first greyhound at a Meet & Greet in Manassas over 7 years ago and got hooked on the breed, adopting Roxie a few months later. She is also involved with an organization that breeds, raises, and trains Great Danes as mobility service dogs.
Julie Bryan, Adoption Coordinator
- Has lived in Europe
- Formerly a "pug person"
- Worked on a sheep farm
Julie was a veterinary Technician for 10 years, and loved working with wildlife at the Wildlife Center of VA while a student. She loves playing with her dogs, especially her labradoodle; taking him to the dog park and playing “chase” with the ball. She works full time as a Technical Writer so, her dogs are a fun outlet.
- Worked as Music Director and Promotions Director for WIYY Radio/98 ROCK for nearly 20 years
- Produced radio broadcasts from the Grammys in L.A. and the Winter Olympics in Albertville, France
- Used to live in Berkeley Springs, WV and was a member of the City Council
Mary has been a real estate agent for the last 18 years and enjoys helping people achieve the American dream. Besides family, nothing gives Mary more joy than listening to music, particularly that of her favorite artist, Mike Oldfield.
- Owned a purple Volvo nicknamed "Barney"
- Grows tropical hibiscus and plumeria plants
- Graduate of two Big 10 Universities: Wisconsin and Purdue
Becky works as a mechanical engineer, testing cars for crash safety ratings. She also volunteers with local schools to get kids interested in science and engineering. She trained her childhood golden retriever as a therapy dog and is looking forward to doing therapy work with her greyhounds.
- Born and raised in Wisconsin
- Has B.S. and M.S. degrees in Nuclear Engineering
- Met his wife, Becky, in calculus class
Kevin first became interested in greyhounds while watching a Simpson's episode where Homer and Bart adopt a greyhound named Santa's Little Helper. He loves running in the yard with his hound, growing hot peppers, and firing up his pellet grill to cook tasty meals.